Zenni Optical Fine-Tunes Product Data, Focuses In On a 537% ROAS for Shopping Channel Campaigns
Generating over $50 million in 2013, Zenni is a very successful online retailer, but their shopping engine performance was inhibited by a few key issues that are common among even large retailers. Zenni Optical came to CPC Strategy in late November of 2011 looking to increase incremental revenue from their existing shopping engine campaigns.
Removing the Bottleneck
The key to improving Zenni’s comparison shopping engine (CSE) campaign performance was addressing the central bottleneck – their product data. On engines like Google Shopping, Pricegrabber, Amazon Product Ads, Shopzilla, Nextag, and the eBay Commerce Network, Zenni’s inventory feeds were inhibiting their ceiling for improvement because of incomplete data and critical deficits of converting search terms.
Zenni worked with CPC to provide the most up-to-date product information available and to offload every aspect of shopping engine management to their dedicated Retail Search Management team. Priority issues to address:
- No Google Analytics tracking for set up for comparison shopping engines
- Product titles and descriptions not integrating product details and attributes found within the feed
- Limited ad visibility due to not understanding top-converting search terms and not including these in the feed
Zenni Optical is a major eyeglasses brand with over 4000 products. The northern California-based prescription eyewear retailer was launched in 2003 and is now an industry leader in online prescription eyewear sales.
David Varnai | Ecomm. Marketing Mgr.
“It’s a genuine pleasure working with CPC Strategy. They’ve been on the ball in terms of providing me comprehensive updates when I want them, and they really own the whole process of improving the quality of our product data and quickly resolving issues. My Retail Search Manager, Anthony, is a true professional and I’ve seen nothing but upstanding integrity and attention to detail from him and the CPC team.”
Filling in the Gaps
With every aspect of shopping engine management onboarded, CPC Strategy immediately addressed key account-level issues. To improve channel performance, CPC put two key concepts front and center: Inventory Data & Ad Visibility. CPC Strategy’s solution for Zenni’s campaigns addressed these two fields, helping search engines to identify Zenni’s relevant products and leveraging performance data to make campaign tweaks.
- Transitioned Zenni Product Listing Ads campaigns to the new Google Shopping campaigns format using top-converting brands data for account structure
- Worked with Zenni to integrate CSE conversion tracking pixels on their site and tag campaigns in Google Analytics
- Re-allocated product attribute columns like size, color, and material within the product titles and descriptions columns
- Integrated top-converting search keywords in the feed, specifically those researched to improve search query rankings for Zenni products
- Automated payment processes on shopping engines in order to prevent product ads due to budgetary limits
- Incorporated custom AdWords labels in Zenni’s Google Merchant Center feeds to segment catalog
- Installed CPC Strategy’s proprietary seller reviews code to increase review volume
Zenni Optical began working with CPC Strategy in November 2011. Here are recent performance numbers over the span of 1 year.
Dates Compared: 7/1/2013 – 7/1/2014
Avg. Return on Ad Spend (ROAS)
Avg. Conversion Rate
Schedule An Evaluation Of Your Campaigns By A Retail Search Expert
Don’t Leave Money On The Table
We respect your privacy