New research from CPC Strategy reveals nearly 70% of consumers are most likely to hear about new products, services, or events from people they follow on Facebook
San Diego, CA — August 1, 2018 — A quick glance at any social feed shows influencer marketing on the rise, and eMarketer reports that 70% of US agencies and brand marketers will likely increase influencer marketing budgets this year. But how can brands effectively implement an influencer strategy? Where are consumers most likely to discover new products? And how do consumers really feel about seeing ads in their feed? CPC Strategy, a retail-focused digital marketing agency, announced today the publication of its “2018 U.S. Influencer Marketing Report: The Rise of Micro-Influencers and How Consumer Trust Drives Sales.”
To better understand how consumers interact with sponsored posts, CPC Strategy asked 1,500 shoppers how they define “influencers” on social media, what makes an influencer trustworthy, and how likely they are to act on an influencer’s recommendation. The research uncovered some unexpected results – including the eye-popping statistic that 70% of consumers are most likely to hear about new products, services or events from people they follow on Facebook. The study drills down into the data by age and gender, and reveals where brands should prioritize their resources when developing an influencer strategy. A full report on the study’s methodology and findings, along with analysis of the results, can be found on the CPC Strategy website.
“If our Influencer Marketing study had one underlying theme, it’s that Facebook is the king of Influencer Marketing, and Instagram the Queen,” said Nii Ahene, COO and cofounder of CPC Strategy. “Nearly 70% of our survey respondents claimed they’re more likely to hear about new products, services, and events on Facebook than anywhere else. And the most impressive part? Users know they’ll see streams of products and events in their feeds, and they’re coming back for more – making Facebook (and Instagram, coming in at 11%) the prime location to invest in influencer marketing.”
Commissioned by CPC Strategy and conducted by Survata, the survey asked 1,500 online respondents ages 18-65 a series of questions, including how consumers determine whether a post is sponsored, how consumers feel about seeing ads in their social media feeds, and what products and services consumers have purchased based on an influencer’s social media post.
Beginning with the most basic question, how consumers define “influencer,” CPC Strategy’s research validates the rise of micro influencers—individuals with a smaller but more engaged and trusting follower base. Fewer than 20% of survey participants defined influencers as celebrities, while the remaining ~80% defined an influencer as a person with a lot of followers on a social channel or anyone who promotes a product on their social channel
Other key findings of the report:
- Nearly 40% of consumers can’t tell if a post is sponsored
- 44% of consumers are open to recommendations by influencers
- 28.4% of consumers feel paid promotions are out of place on their news feed
So what can brands takeaway from this research?
Trust is everything. When brands invest in influencers who consumers trust, and utilize platforms their target audience use most often to discover new products and services, influencer marketing offers a powerful and cost-effective way to generate brand awareness and increase sales.
For an overview of the research findings with a link to the complete research findings and analysis, please visit https://cpcstrategy.com/the-2018-u-s-influencer-marketing-report/?utm_source=publication
About CPC Strategy
CPC Strategy is a retail-focused digital marketing agency that specializes in driving performance growth on the channels that directly impact a retailer’s digital bottom line. Founded in 2007, CPC executes on ad strategy and management for retailers and brands on Google, Amazon, Facebook, and other product advertising channels. CPC Strategy ranked #1,288 in the Inc. 5000 List of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies™ and was also honored as a finalist in “Best Places to Work” by the San Diego Business Journal. For more information visit www.cpcstrategy.com.